Motivated by faith in God and concern for the elderly, the Mennonite Benevolent Society (MBS) was formed in 1953 to provide housing and long-term healthcare for seniors.
Since that time, visionary leadership from the Board, generous donations from Society members, and financial support from government have all contributed to ongoing development.
From operating a 26-bed “retirement home” in the early 1950s, MBS has grown to become one of the major long-term care and housing organizations in the province. With the completion of Primrose Gardens in 2010, our care facilities and apartment buildings will serve about 700 residents.
Looking ahead to the need for redeveloping our older facilities in future, MBS purchased the Ebenezer Senior Home Society property in Abbotsford in late 2009. The next chapter of MBS history promises to be the most exciting yet!
Timeline History of Mennonite Benevolent Society
- 1952 – December 20th: Initial discussion regarding a home for the frail and aging
- 1953 – March 20th: Decision to organize as a society
- 1953 – September 1st: Certificate of Incorporation issued for the Mennonite Benevolent Society
- 1954 – First Menno Home structure
- 1956 – Menno Home addition
- 1960 – Menno Hospital initial phase
- 1961 – MBS staff house on Marshall Road
- 1965 – Menno Hospital addition
- 1971 – Menno Home expansion “Phase 1” (West)
- 1974 – Menno Home expansion “Phase 2” (East)
- 1982 – Menno Pavilion initial phase (“Pauls Pavilion”)
- 1990 – Menno Home Special Care “Chalet”
- 1990 – Menno Home South Wing (replacing original 1950s structures)
- 1992 – Menno Hospital East Wing addition
- 1992 – Menno Pavilion second phase
- 1998 – Menno Terrace
- 1998 – Menno Hospital East Wing – second floor addition
- 2003 – 50th MBS Anniversary Celebration
- 2005 – Menno Terrace East
- 2009 – Purchase of Ebenezer Home property
- 2010 – Primrose Gardens
- 2013 – 60th MBS Anniversary Celebration
- 2014 – Sale of Ebenezer Home property
- 2015 – Living Waters Garden